Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Buckeyes Proper

We know you're probably getting ready for the biggest feast of the year - and so are we. We are coordinating side dishes and rounding up enough utensils so that we don't have to wash between turkey and the other main course, dessert.  There is also another Major Calendar Event coming up: Game Day. In solidarity with every other Buckeye Fan in the Nation, and the state of Ohio, we present to you, Buckeyes Proper. 


If I knew anything at all about football I might have something sports related to say here, but I leave that to My Sister (who once refused a perfectly good apartment on the grounds of its former resident being a graduate from That Evil University: TERRIBLE color scheme).  I know enough to know that I do not like That Team Up North and when Game Day is, but other than that I consider myself unaware. Please do not assume that I know the names of the players this year, let alone which high school they attended and their intended major. I don't know and I don't have anything to add to that conversation.  It isn't that I don't care, I do, but I would rather show my support by making sure the fans are well fed. (C Fierce note: I was not allowed to write this post because it would be about the high school the players went to and their intended majors. I am what some might call a "big fan.")

I feel a little silly writing about a recipe my favorite blogger (who isn't my sister) just recently posted. Those of you who aren't here because you know and love the wonders that are The Sisters Fierce probably have already read and made it.  The other nine of you, prepare to be impressed. These Buckeyes aren't as sugary sweet as Mrs. T's bars, they're a little grown up and fancy.  Which is how you can pass them off as dinner party fare.

Buckeyes
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups smooth or chunky peanut butter
10 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used one sleeve and crushed it in the sleeve: fancy!)
3 cups powdered sugar
10 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Method
Combine peanut butter and cream cheese, mixing with a stand or hand mixer until smooth. Add melted butter and graham cracker crumbs, mix until combined. Add the powdered sugar, again mixing until it looks like it has blended. Form into little balls, rolling them in your palms. I got about 36 and I think I could have rolled them smaller in order to make more. You can do this a day in advance if you want.  Store them in the fridge. 

In a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the chocolate. I upped the amount of chocolate because some of my buckeyes didn't exactly get the full coat.  Dip the peanut butter balls in using a skewer or if you're Ultra Midwestern Like Me, a corn holder. These are exactly what I used.  I guess I could have used a toothpick, but like I said, I was keeping it stereotypical.  They will need about a half hour in the fridge to set up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment