Monday, March 14, 2011

C Fierce is BACK. And She Brought Lemon Squares.

So. Some sheeeeeeeeeeeet happened in my life. It sucked, now it's good, and I'm back. And I have lemon squares. Meyer Lemon Squares to be precise. I went on a lemon square binge about two months ago. I found the best recipe of all time, but of course it's Cook's Illustrated, takes nineteen hours, and gives you the best lemon squares you have ever put in your mouth.
These are not those lemon squares. These take about an hour, including washing dishes. They are still excellent. They also didn't fall apart like the Failed First Post Of This Blog. Someday I will photograph and give you the Cook's Illustrated version of lemon heaven, but this is not that day. Until then, enjoy these. And I promise I will be back soon with Actual Blogging And Food Things Because I Have Time For That Now That My Life Has Calmed Down. Seriously I Mean It.

Quick and Dirty Lemon Squares
adapted from a friend's family recipe from a newspaper somewhere in the annals of time

Ingredients
2 cups AP flour
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, plus more for sprinkling
3/4 cup chopped pecans
4 eggs
1 - 2 cups sugar (1 cup if using Meyer lemons, 2 if using regular old ordinary lemons)
1 tsp baking poweder
8 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (gotta get that Meyer lemon)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix flour, butter, confectioner's sugar and pecans in a large bowl. Press in an ungreased 13 x 9 baking pan, evening out with your fingers or the back of a measuring cup if you are neurotic about these things. (I am.) Bake for 20 minutes, until the top of the crust is slightly browned.
2. While the crust is baking, beat together the remaining ingredients for 3 minutes with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Pour over the hot crust and return to the oven. Bake for another 25 minutes until no imprint remains when touched lightly in the center.
3. Cool. Sprinkle with more confectioner's sugar. Cut. Use a ruler if you are neurotic about these things. (I am.) Eat. Be happy about your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment