Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mediterranean Quiche

Yesterday, C Fierce and I were talking on the phone.  Somehow the topic of food came up (weird). and I said something very true but never before articulated: "you know, I just don't get that excited about food. Unless its dessert."  To date, exactly two of my multitude of posts have not been sugar-laden. Everything else on here not baked? That would be the work of C Fierce.

Today, however, I am sharing a recipe that makes me excited.  It is infinitely adaptable with whatever you have in your cupboards.  We'll ease me into the savory world with a pie crust and pan. Behold the quiche.

Imagine, if you will, a dish that can be enjoyed at any time of day, morning noon or night. With the tanginess of feta and the greenness of spinach, you really can't lose. Beware, if you're hungry: I ate half of it at one meal (that was the only thing on my plate, but still. Oink Oink).
Spinach and Feta Quiche

Ingredients
One 9" pie crust (please don't get mad at me, I used these and they were amazing and also free. I promise as soon as stone fruit season starts I will share my super awesome crust recipe.)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups packed chopped fresh spinach
1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
1 artichoke heart, quartered and sort of shredded (I used these
1/2 cup cream
3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
Olives would be really good in here, too, if you have some (no thank you, says C Fierce). So would a little diced tomato. 

Method
Preheat your oven to 425F. Bake the pie crust for approximately 7 minutes until golden. 

Just before the crust is set to come out, saute spinach in olive oil, about one minute. Whisk together eggs and cream. 

Spread feta evenly over the bottom of the baked crust, top with artichokes and spinach. Pour egg mixture over top. Bake for 15 minutes at 425. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake 20 minutes more, until top looks set in the middle.

Try to save some for breakfast tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. looks good, but where are the onions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how I feel about onions. I refuse to promote them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEE-LISH-US!! I hope you don't mind but I printed off the receipe!! How could i pass this up?? My mouth is still watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. carolyn, remember i told you i was making a quiche?? it was exactly this one. not feta, but ricotta cheese though, which makes it lighter (and you could use 1 egg less)..
    jojo, looks delicious!
    ciao and baci to both my fiercinas

    ReplyDelete